Do you need help because you have a problem with an office or a state institution, do you feel discriminated, experience ill-treatment of a person restricted in their freedom (either if this is happening to you personally or if you wish to draw our attention to such behaviour), or are you concerned about the rights of people with disabilities? In that case, you can file a complaint to the Ombudsman via this page. Two options are available: initiate proceedings "anonymously" or by authentication via the Czech National Identity Authority (NIA).

Anonymous: submitting a complaint anonymously means filling in the online form yourself. Personal and contact details will not be verified in any way. After submitting the form, the complaint will be registered and you will receive a reply as soon as possible. However, carefully check the information you provide about yourself in the form. For example, if there is an error in submitted contact details, you may not receive a reply.

NIA: option for holders of electronic identity cards with NIA ID can take the initiative. This ID card can be reported to various online services provided mainly by the public administration. When you option to file your complaint to the Ombudsman using the NIA, you will be redirected to the identification gateway. The system then automatically fills in all identification and contact details in the complaint form, leaving you to only describe a problem you wish the Ombudsman to help you with. Afterwards, you can login via this option to check the status of your complaint or further supplement it with additional information.

I'm a kid: The simplified form is for children and teenagers only - persons under the age of twenty. Please do not use it if you do not meet this condition, even if your complaint involves children.